POWERING THE NEW WAVE OF CHANGE
The change started small. A bottle cap here, a cigarette there. Before we knew it, the onslaught of trash felt just like a tidal wave. What had once been pristine coastline was a new environment entirely. We knew something had to be done. So we became the solution.
While we started as a handful of surfers and ocean-lovers, we now count thousands of supporters among us. It was over 20 years ago now that Heal the Ocean was just a grassroots project with one goal in mind—to clean up our ocean. Our mission statement way back then was simple and direct: “The ocean can no longer be used as a dump.” Our methods were simple; work with our community to reach our goals of a clean ocean and safe beaches. Our biggest success to date? Protecting seven miles of precious California coastline from septic systems. It took 16 years, but we did it. And we’re in it for the long haul.
We may be small, but we like to think we pack a punch. We’re persistent. We’ve decided we have to start with ourselves, and even the smallest changes will ripple out into the community. We want to leave a legacy for generations to come. We want to show them we have the strength to save our shores. We’re on to bigger things, and we hope you’ll join us.
10 Ways to Reduce Your Environmental impact
- 1. Say no to plastic straws.
- 2. Never throw anything overboard.
- 3. Invest in a multi-use water bottle.
- 4. Grab a reusable shopping bag and take it with you.
- 5. Quit smoking, or dispose of butts properly.
- 6. When you see trash‚ pick it up.
- 7. Clean up after your pup.
- 8. Organize a beach cleanup.
- 9. Donate to marine national parks or ocean saving environmental non-profits.
- 10. Spread the word.