The workhorse 6.7L Cummins®+ Turbo Diesel engine has been a jobsite staple for years, and for a good reason: it brings exceptional power and durability to the biggest, toughest jobs. And on the Ram 3500, that trusted diesel performance comes standard.
Cummins Turbo Diesel specs/crossbrand/shared/flash/modules/cssdynamicview/dynamic_view.swftrue
- 6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
- 800 lb-ft of maximum torque with automatic transmission only, and up to 22,750 lbs of maximum towingen_when_properly_equipped_towing
- 610 lb-ft of maximum torque at 1400 rpm, manual transmission only
- No Diesel Exhuast Fluid required
- Variable Geometry Turbocharger
- Inline six-cylinder
- Provides up to 14,000 lbs of towing capacityen_when_properly_equipped_towing
- Six-speed automatic transmission, up to 800 lb-ft torque
- Six-speed manual, up to 610 lb-ft of torque
Cummins Turbo Diesel 360 view/shared/2012/ram_chassis_cab/capability/powertrain/primary/11_d_rcc_cap_pow_cumminsdiesel360_prm.swftrue
- Click and drag engine to rotate.
- label::ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE__video::10__frame::12__animation::electronicControl
- label::INTEGRATED INTAKE GRID__video::9__frame::17__animation::integratedIntake
- label::COMMON-RAIL ARCHITECTURE__video::12__frame::10__animation::commonRail
- label::HIGHER FUEL INJECTION PRESSURE__video::8__frame::15__animation::higherFuel
- label::VARIABLE GEOMETRY TURBOCHARGER__video::9__frame::3__animation::variableGeometry
- label::INCREASED BLOCK STIFFNESS__video::4__frame::12__animation::increasedBlock
- label::INTEGRATED EXHAUST BRAKE__video::6__frame::3__animation::integratedExhaust
HEMI® V8 specs/crossbrand/shared/flash/modules/cssdynamicview/dynamic_view.swftrue
- 5.7L HEMI® V8 features
- Variable valve timing offers greater efficiency and performance
- Two spark plugs per cylinder fired by a Distributorless Ignition System
- High compression ratio boosts power and fuel efficiency
- Provides up to 14,400 lbsen_when_properly_equipped_towing of towing capacity
- Six-speed automatic
Lower cost of ownership and hassle-free maintenance with no DEF
2012 Ram Heavy Duty models come equipped with our innovative, class-exclusive NOx Absorber Catalyst (NAC) system+, which automatically regulates diesel emissions according to EPA standards. So while other drivers will be required to monitor and maintain their Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system, you can save your time and money.
- Transmission choices
Ram Heavy Duty trucks offer a variety of engine and transmission combinations so you can configure a powertrain that meets your needs. The automatic transmissions feature Electronic Range Select and Tow / Haul mode.
Electronic Range Select allows the driver to manually limit the highest available transmission gear, thereby enabling manual upshifts and downshifts based on road speed and engine speed.
Tow / Haul mode improves vehicle performance during trailer towing or heavy-load hauling. When Tow / Haul mode is selected, a revised shift schedule is used to provide more power and reduce transmission shift changes and gear hunting. The Tow / Haul switch is located in the center stack of the instrument panel.
- Axle ratios
There are four axle ratios available for Ram Heavy Duty trucks: 3.42, 3.73, 4.10 and 4.56. The 4.56 axle ratio is only available on Power Wagon®.